Skip to main content

Meeting with Mr.IIMA - part 1

You know, I think pretty much everyone goes through this stage in their lives......the stage where you now have to think of marriage.....except in my case its being thought of for me by my folks as is custom, culture, or whatever you want to call it....I'm not against arranged marriages but I just don't think I'm ready for a marriage yet. Besides its going to happen when my time comes whether I'm ready for it or not.. so why hurry?

I love my folks for making it a 'not so embarrassing' process for me.....and yet I do get annoyed when my mom says "Let's go through the matrimonial site and see if there are any nice guys!" The very post that follows is the after effect of such a discussion with my mom.

Luckily for me, my parents havent pushed me to meet a lot of guys. And I've just met one guy so far till date (its been 8 months since we started looking), the one they were very keen for me to meet. Mr.IIMA (+ MTech + Btech) was a pretty decent chap, that my parents thought made sense for their daughter as an alliance...

Unfortunately for him, I wasn't really thinking of marriage and little did he know what was in store for him. I decided prior to the meeting that I was just going to be my nice self and see what happens. I knew that whatever has to happen will happen and so before we went to meet this guy I went to church and prayed with all my heart to accept it if he is the one or somehow make it go away if he's not the one for me. And when you do that, like pray with all your heart and soul, be sure He'll listen and answer your prayer.

Anyway there I was sitting away from Mr. IIMA, with him talking to my parents and my parents inquiring about his background. My brothers had met him prior to this (like weeks ago) and had given the 'ok' signal to my folks which was why this was happening.

Now here's the thing ,I've always said I don't have any expectations about my husband save his character, which I'm particular about. I've never had an issue with looks, well as for height I wanted him to be at least 5 inches taller than me coz then it wouldn't look weird if I had to wear my 4 inch heels :P

But here's the problem, I think somewhere in your subconscious you've kind of stored data (under a folder called "likeables")..... well.. 'subconsciously'.....about the kind of features you like, the height you prefer, the personality you prefer, etc, etc.... The reason I say this is because every time you look at a person and admire anything you like about him/her that particular 'trait' gets stored in that so called "likeables" folder. And I think with those elements you really like,  you start creating a picture of the person you want to be with for the rest of your life... well....'subconsciously' of course! Just a hypothetical theory... or an excuse for what I did to Mr. IIMA.

Ok so I meet Mr. IIMA and I know at first glance that he's not the one. How come I know? Remember the 'likeables' folder? Nothing from there ..... that's why. That doesn't mean he was bad looking or whatever you wanna associate with bad. He was tall (like really tall) and of average build and he wasn't bad looking either.

So after sometime, my parents left me alone with him so we could have the 'few minutes of conversation' that comes with the arranged marriage package, which is when you determine whether he is likeable or not, whether he can be your husband or not, all in a few minutes. And that's when it all began.........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do you know he/she is the ONE???

Many people are baffled by the idea of "arranged marriages". "How do you know he/she is the one from a couple of meetings you've had?", they ask me. 'Mirror mirror on the wall who is my knight in shinning armour????  How am I supposed to know???  I'm still human last time I checked!! That's when you wish some kind of magic existed in this world. Or time travel was actually possible - so you could take a sneak peek and see the "ONE" who is destined to bring you happiness, fulfillment and every other emotion, words associated with marriage bring. Anyway here's my thought. I think everyone has some idea of what his/her partner should be like. ( This is a pre- requisite for people who are thinking of arranged marriages, in case ur thinking WTF!!) If its any consolation.......you have to meet a few people before you decide he or she is the one for you. Why???? Well I think, everytime you meet a person, you learn something new about

The ugly duckling

I think I've always been fascinated by the ugly duckling story and somewhere deep down I was sure that people will see the swan in me some day....although I had, rather still have no clue hows its going to manifest itself. For the major part of my life it never bothered me that I was ugly. I was still better than most at a lot of things, academics, dramatics, art, singing and various other activities ( well clearly I always got the chance to showcase my efforts at all these and therefore I think I'm good at them :P ) and since I had so many talents why do I need to bother with beauty - it's only skin deep right? But I guess whatever said and done I'm still a woman and it is every woman's secret wish to be that beautiful swan someday that would find her prince charming and live a happily ever story (if ever there was one! ). Or have a guy that's absolutely adores you just 'cause you are beautiful and charming and blah blah! So when a friend of mine s

Meeting with Mr. IIMA - part 4

" Dad's not worried, he's ok...", I said, "he was telling me you would ask a lot of questions and stuff.."   I was terribly restless by now. 'That's it I can't be bothered. I can't take it anymore!', I thought to myself....... "And he told me to discuss the future and what my plans are", I said.  Its amazing how you can just say things like that but I think that was limit of my patience. " So any more questions?", I asked him. "Questions?.."he laughed, "....this is not an interview". YES I KNOW!!! But I cant take it anymore and I'm dying to get out!!! "Okie so I've told you about my job, future, kids (imagine discussing that with a total stranger!!).....oh and cooking!!!", I said, ignoring the little voice inside me saying Sheens enough is enough, behave yourself.  "Ok if there's a table of food out here..", I said, gesturing to the table in front of us, "...I